Singers, Songwriters Coming to Famous Bucks County Theater for a Night of Music and Conversation
One of Bucks County’s most well-known theaters will be hosting a night of music and conversation in the very near future.
The Newtown Theatre will present “Singer-Songwriters in the Round: The Stories Behind the Songs” on Feb. 4 at 8 PM. Part concert, part conversation, this special evening will bring together five singer-songwriters to play their songs and share the stories behind them. They’ll discuss origins and arrangements while offering a deeper dive into the songwriting process.
Led by orator Daniel S. Bower, the format will encourage conversation between musicians, giving the audience an opportunity to hear songwriters play their music and riff as if they’re in their own living rooms. This special musical event is inspired by the “guitar pulls” of the legendary Bluebird Café in Nashville.
Singer-songwriters for the evening will include:
- Hezekiah Jones – Raphael Cutrufello is the writer known as Hezekiah Jones. Origins deep within heart and imagination inform his songs and concept and contemplation fuel his lyrics. Hezekiah is an empath and adventurous seizer of life. His songs are both autobiographical expressions of experience but also range heavily into non-fiction and sci-fi stories.
- Darren Schlappich (Frog Holler) – Darren is a songwriter and leader of Kutztown’s Frog Holler & Ataloft. He writes songs with a voice in question of societal and religious convention. His lyrics grapple with existential dread but maintain hope and playfulness with a subtle dose of dark humor if you listen closely. Frog Holler has performed consistently since 1996 all over the East Coast and Europe while building a loyal fan base.
- Chris Kasper – Chris sips from the cool and refreshing waters of soulful songwriters, old bluesmen, fine poetry, and a well-traveled spirit. He has toured with Amos Lee, The Wood Brothers, G. Love & Special Sause and more. His newest record, “Holysmoke,” is a testament to groove, lyrical gems, beat-up hearts, and old guitars.
- Brittany Ann Tranbaugh – Brittany kicked off her music career as a teenager playing at Godfrey Daniels, one of the country’s only remaining bona fide folk listening rooms. She has since performed all over the U.S. and Canada and has appeared on festival stages such as Firefly and Philly Folk Fest. Accolades include 2021 Song of the Year in the John Lennon Songwriting Contest and finalist spots in the Gems in the Rough, Kerrville New Folk, and LEAF NewSong competitions. In 2022, she debuted “Quarter Life Crisis Haircut,” her first official EP release in over a decade.
- Meg Russell – Meg’s unique musical journey began later in life as she agreed to sing at a child’s birthday party. That led to two full-length CDs, “Hat Parade,” and “Puzzle,” both of which won Parent’s Choice Recommended Awards. She has since transitioned to an adult contemporary artist. Her newest original songs are an outpouring of inspiration with heart-filled stories behind them. She will release her new EP, “Hidden Spaces,” this year.
Beer, wine, and canned cocktails will be available for purchase at the theatre before and during the show. The theatre is located at 120 North State Street in Newtown Borough.
Learn more about the event at The Newtown Theatre.
Connect With Your Community
Subscribe for stories that matter!
"*" indicates required fields