Curious Teenager Learns the Hard Way That Wildlife Is Called Wild for a Reason
A Bucks County teen learned that despite the mnemonics about snake colors — red on yellow, deadly fellow… or is that yellow on red? — sometimes it’s best to leave them alone. Michael Tanenbaum reported for PhillyVoice on her dangerous encounter.
Audrey Weir, 17, was at High Rocks Park in Tinicum Township when she came across a snake. She assumed it was harmless and reached for it.
In a split-second, it sunk its fangs into her right hand.
The bite caused Wier to look more closely at the predator. She noted the hourglass marking on its heart-shaped head, as well as the red-orange-brown coloring, and knew she was in trouble.
She’d been struck by a venomous copperhead.
Weir drove herself to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Middletown. But as the poison’s effects worsened, she went to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia for anti-venom.
A copperhead bite is extremely painful — Weir’s hand swelled to four times its normal size — but rarely fatal for humans. It can, however, cause tissue damage to the bite area.
Weir is fine; she’s following up with her healthcare professionals to ensure no lasting after-effects.
But she says that rather than instilling fear, the encounter may have upped her appreciation for these reptiles.
More on this frightening outdoor encounter is at PhillyVoice.
Connect With Your Community
Subscribe for stories that matter!
"*" indicates required fields